Middle history of Brighton Sailing Club: 1900 - 1960

In 1934 the Club was closed, then reopened the next year in the current location (according to Jim). It had been used by the RNLI, and the plaque is still visible (just) outside. Inside there is a ring fixed to the wall of the Ladies’ changing room, presumable to assist in pulling boats in up the shingle slope.

29th Nov. 1934

Dear Sir

The Brighton Sailing Club is closing down. The Town Council have in hand proposals for extending the promenade over our premises which would ruin our Club as a social rendezvous in any case; our membership role is depleted by recent events and sooner than alter the old established character of our Club the Committee has decided to close down altogether.

Then correspondence about the picture...

Faithfully yours

H. King secretary

See minutes (found by Jim Parrot)


Refers to Anglo American Atlantic Yacht Race of July 1870.

The picture was presented by James Ashbury, commodore of the Royal London Yacht Club, to Brighton Sailing Club. 


James Ashbury  (by then MP) was president of the Brighton Sailing Club; it is thought he raced in 1870, then moved to Brighton and founded the Club the next year (thanks to Jim Parrot).


Our previous existence was just West of the West pier, near the tunnel under Kings Road (found by Jim).

Our current main arches (numbers 109-111) can be seen labelled as ‘lifeboat’ in an illustration of 1872. Our sail arches (113-114) had been used by the William Tickners boatbuilders link . The numbering changed twice, around 1889 and 1893. Current arch plan (pdf).

Back to main history page

Paul Tofts

May 30th 2021